Don´t miss out on seeing a newly formed lava field, at the volcanic eruption in Geldingadalur!
The recent eruption in the Reykjanes Peninsula, the first in about 800 years, provides a unique opportunity to study the geologic mysteries of the region and is open for all to enjoy! After being shaken by months of increasingly disruptive earthquakes, Iceland’s Reykjanes Peninsula finally experienced the volcanic eruption that many geologists suspected was on its way, leaving behind a spectacular freshly-formed lava field.
For the guided volcano tour, your group will head to the start of the hiking route towards the Fagradalsfjall volcano in Geldingadalur. The hike will take approximately 1.5 hours each way, but please note this is an estimated time as the sites around the volcano are still changing and the hiking time can change. Please wear hiking shoes and bring crampons as conditions can be slippery during winter.
What better way to end your volcano hike by ending the day at the Blue Lagoon to immerse yourself in the milky-blue geothermal seawaters? Included in the comfort package is entrance to the Blue Lagoon, silica mud mask, use of a towel and 1st drink of your choice.
- Available tour dates and departure times available to view during the booking process
- Round-trip transfers between your Reykjavik hotel or designated pick-up location and the tour starting point. Pick-up begins 30 minutes prior to the tour’s scheduled departure
- Local, professional guide
- Free Wi-Fi available on buses
- Online offer only
- Tour duration: Approximately 10 hours
- Minimum age: Ten (10) years old
- Tour operators will not pick up or drop off passengers at hotels outside Reykjavík
- Have your voucher ready, either in digital or printed form, at your transfer pick-up point.
- No refund for unused travel services or land arrangements once a tour starts
- Not included with this tour: Lunch and/or other refreshments
- Tour operated by Reykjavik Excursions
- All general inquiries, including change or cancellation requests, must be submitted online.
- Terms and conditions, including changes and cancellations to your holiday, vary depending on your country of departure. Please refer to the applicable Icelandair Holidays terms and conditions.
The operator of the tour: Reykjavik Excursions will follow the recommendations of the Civil protection service and cancel the tour if circumstances at the eruption site are unsafe.
Please be aware of the public guidance for hikers visiting the site. For more information visit the Department of Civil Protection.
- Be aware that the weather can change quickly.
- Wear hiking shoes, warm and waterproof clothing.
- Assume that the journey may take longer than planned.
- Bring a packed lunch and water to drink.
- Keep an eye on your travel companions. Fatigue and hypothermia come quickly.
- Stick to hills and ridges. Avoid valleys and dells in the landscape.
- There is a risk of rock fall. Beware of steep slopes
- The telephone connection in the area is bad and it can therefore be difficult to call for help if needed.
- Eruption sites can change, and new eruption cracks may open on short notice.
- Gas pollution is strongest close to the area and can lurk in valleys and dells where it is particularly dangerous.
- Gas pollution can change on short notice if the eruption suddenly increases, and it is dangerous to be near the eruption sites without measuring instruments.
Personal travel insurance is not included and is highly recommended.
Email providers may not recognize the confirmation email sent at the time of booking, so be sure to check your SPAM or Junk folders if you haven't received it within 48 hours of confirming your purchase online.