Experience the magic and power of the great Dettifoss, Europe’s most powerful waterfall! Book today!
First, you’ll enjoy a short stop at the scenic volcanic lake area of Lake Mývatn, named for its abundant midge population during the summer months. Then, your tour heads off the main road toward Dettifoss waterfall, located along the Jökulsá á Fjöllum glacier river where a mass of water, mud and sand rumbles into Iceland’s most impressive canyon from Vatnajökull glacier. Measured at 100 m wide and a fall of 44 m, Dettifoss is Europe’s most powerful waterfall and is located just a short walk from parking to the waterfall’s best viewpoints, as well as the adjacent and equally stunning waterfalls of Hafragilsfoss and Selfoss. If the ground is covered in snow (common during most of winter), snowshoes are provided to make the hike easier.
Be sure to bring good hiking shoes, warm clothing, gloves, water bottle, light snacks, and of course your camera!
- Departures at 9:00 am on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
- Transfer from your Akureyri hotel, guesthouse, or Akureyri Airport to the tour starting point. Pick-up begins 15 minutes prior to the tour’s scheduled departure
- Local, professional guide
- Maximum tour group size: 19
- Online offer only
- Travel period: October 16 – December 31, 2019
- Tour duration: Approximately 8-9 hours
- Tour operators will not pick up or drop off passengers at hotels outside Akureyri
- Have your voucher ready, either in digital or printed form, at your pick-up point.
- If weather or road conditions are unfavorable, the itinerary may have to be altered, incur a longer journey time or be cancelled
- No refund for unused travel services or land arrangements once a tour starts
- Not included with this tour: Lunch and/or other refreshments
- Tour operated by Saga Tours
- All general inquiries, including change or cancellation requests, can be submitted online.
- Terms and conditions, including changes and cancellations to your holiday, vary depending on your country of departure. Please refer to the applicable Icelandair Holidays terms and conditions.
Personal travel insurance is not included and is highly recommended.