Traveling with Children and Infants
We aim to make the flight enjoyable for our youngest passengers. On board there is a personal in-flight entertainment system with a variety of children's shows. Furthermore, children are given crayons and postcards which they can fill out and send to friends and family.
Passengers traveling with children aged 2 to 11 years old may bring on board an approved child seat if the child sits in the chair during the flight.
When traveling with infants under 2 years old, passengers may also bring an approved child seat on board, provided that a seat by the window is available on the plane. Passengers can ensure a seat for a child seat by purchasing the child fare.
The use of child seats is allowed during all stages of the flight, including during take-off and landing, provided that:
- The child seat is designed for attachment to a seat with a 2-point belt (normal seat belts on passenger seats in aircraft). Child seats that are specifically designed for attachment with 3-point belts (normal seat belts in cars) may not be used.
- The child seat meets at least one of the following conditions:
- The child seat is approved for use in vehicles in accordance with the European Standard ECE R44-03 or later amendments.
- The child seat is approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft in accordance with the US Standard US FMVSS No. 213 and has been manufactured according to this standard as of 26 February 1985. Child seats that meet US requirements must have the following label in red lettering: 1) "This child restraint system conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards" and 2) "This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft".
- The child seat is approved for use in aircraft in accordance with the German Standard on "Qualification Procedure for Child Restraint Systems in Aircraft" (TUV Doc.:/958-01/2001).
- The child seat is approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft in accordance with the Canadian Standard CMVSS 213/213,1.
CARES Child Aviation Restraint System is approved on Icelandair flights. CARES is designed specifically for aviation use for children aged 1 and older who weigh between 10kg and 20kg (22lb and 44lb). Please note Icelandair does not provide them on our flights.
Child Seat on Board
The child seat shall be anchored securely in a window seat using the seat belt. It must be noted that the airline does not provide child seats.
It is possible to order yogurt and a banana for infants. Warm water is always available on board in order to warm up milk and baby food. An infant meal needs to be reserved in advance, at least 24 hours before departure or at the time of reservation (1-800-223-5500 prompt 1).
All children between the ages of 2 and 11 years of age receive a complimentary meal on all flights.
Children Traveling Alone
On Icelandair flights an Unaccompanied Minor (UM) is a child between 5 and 11 years of age (11 inclusive) who is NOT accompanied by a passenger 12 years of age or older having the same reservation status and capable of taking full responsibility for the child.
- A maximum of 4 Unaccompanied Minors may be carried on each flight.
- The Unaccompanied Minor service charge is $60 each way. Only one fee is charged if two or more unaccompanied minors are traveling together.
- We only accept Unaccompanied Minors on Icelandair flights; onward connections with other airlines are not possible.
Unaccompanied Minor Travel Guidelines
- Unaccompanied Minors must be checked-in by an adult guardian who must provide photo identification and contact information, as well as the relationship to the child. On arrival in the destination city, the Icelandair ground agent will also check photo identification and contact information before releasing the child to the guardian, who is predetermined in the child's reservation documents.
- Travel documents for the Unaccompanied Minor are placed in a special Icelandair wallet clearly visible on the child.
- Please note that all Unaccompanied Minors must be confirmed in advanced before traveling. Contact our reservations department to make a reservation for them.
Please fill out and print four copies of the Unaccompanied Minor Form.
It is not possible to book a child traveling alone via the internet. Also, it is not possible to book for an unborn child. When planning on traveling with a child that isn´t born yet, you can add their name to the booking when the child has been given its name.
To book an Unaccompanied Minor, please contact our Service Center. Contact information can be found here. Unaccompanied Minors must be confirmed at least 3 days before the flight, so please allow for advance purchase.