FAQs about travel to Greenland
Helpful information for travelers to Greenland
How far is Greenland from Iceland?
Greenland is around 745 miles or 1200 kilometers from Reykjavik. The total flight duration from Iceland to Greenland is around 2-3 hours.
What currency does Greenland use?
Danish kroner (DKK) is the official currency in Greenland, although some souvenir shops may accept foreign currency in notes. It is wise to have cash in DKK on you, especially when visiting small towns and settlements.
Most major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Eurocard, Diners, Dankort, and American Express) are accepted in ATMs. For money withdrawal, you must use your PIN-code. You will find ATMs in the following towns: Nanortalik, Narsaq, Qaqortoq, Paamiut, Nuuk, Maniitsoq, Sisimiut, Kangerlussuaq, Aasiaat, Qasigiannguit, Ilulissat, Qeqertarsuaq, Uummannaq, Upernavik, Tasiilaq.
What language is spoken in Greenland?
Greenland's official language is Greenlandic (known as Kalaallisut, an Inuit language belonging to the Eskimo-Aleut language family). Most people in Greenland speak good Danish, and those who have studied abroad also speak English. Some tourist offices might have staff that speaks German or French.
What clothes should I pack for Greenland?
What to wear during your travels in Greenland depends on factors such as time of the year, places you visit, your planned activities, and of course, the weather you'll encounter. For hikes, wear multiple layers so you can adjust when it's too warm or cold.
Advisable to bring:
- Waterproof and breathable footwear with a good grip and support around your ankles for walking on rough terrain (rocks, gravel, dirt, etc.).
- Rain- and windproof breathable clothing as the weather may change often, and the wind is almost always chilly.
- Warm clothing to wear when the temperature drops and warm and appropriate headwear and gloves for cold conditions.
- If you're visiting during the summer months, don't forget a hat or a cap, sunglasses and sunscreen as the sun can be very strong, especially on the water.
- Mosquito net and repellent is useful, especially during July and August months. Don't forget antihistamine if you are allergic to insect bites.
Is Greenland safe for tourists?
Greenland is very safe for tourists. With a small population and friendly locals, you’ll feel more than welcomed when visiting this unique country.
What is the New York to Greenland flight time?
Flying from New York to Iceland's Keflavík International Airport takes 6 hours over a distance of approx 2600 miles (4170 kilometers). Flight times from Iceland to Greenland are 2-3 hours.
Where can I learn more about Greenland?
More information and practical tips about visiting Greenland are on the Visit Greenland website.