Ever wondered what a volcano looks like on the inside? This unique tour takes you to Þríhnúkagígur, the only place on earth where it's safe to explore a magma chamber from the inside! Without an eruption for the past 4,000 years, it’s showed no signs of coming back to life, allowing for visitors throughout the summer months.
After a 25-minute trip from the capital, you'll walk over one of Iceland’s countless lava fields before a 400-foot elevator descent into the volcano. Once there, it’s hard to deny the amazing view, and it just might be something you’ll need to write home about! Passengers should be in reasonable physical shape for this tour as it includes 30-40 minutes of moderate-level hiking on unpaved surfaces, scoring a 2 out of 5 difficulty level. All required, included safety equipment (helmets, harnesses, etc.) and processes have been tested extensively and approved by the Icelandic Administration of Occupational Safety and Health. Be sure to bring with you the essentials including hiking boots and a wind/waterproof jacket, as well as bottled water and of course your camera. Last, but not least, dress for cool temperatures, which is about 6°C (43°F) year-round inside the volcano
- Includes bus transportation, guidance in English and all required safety equipment
- Available tour dates and departure times available to view during the booking process
- Pick-up 45 minutes prior to departure. Please be ready in time outside your hotel or at designated pick-up point!
- Seasonal tour operated May - September, approximate duration 6 hours
- Average your group size: 18
- Online offer only
- Children 11 years of age and younger are not permitted on this tour
- Passengers should be in reasonable physical shape for this tour, moderate walking on unpaved surface required.
- Please note this tour will not pick up/drop off passengers staying at hotels outside of Reykjavík
- Departure time subject to confirmation by the local tour operator
- No refund for unused travel services or land arrangements once a tour starts
- Light refreshments are included as part of this guided tour
- Tour operated by 3H Travel
- All general inquiries, including change or cancellation requests, must be submitted online.
- Terms and conditions, including changes and cancellations to your holiday, vary depending on your country of departure. Please refer to the applicable Icelandair Holidays terms and conditions.
- Personal insurance is not included and is highly recommended